The Mt Bundey Training Area is a large site of over 100,000 hectares located approximately 120 kilometres southeast of Darwin.
The site is used by Defence for a variety of military training activities including mechanised battle group sized field firing and manoeuvre training and aerial bombing.
This project was to provide the Mount Bundey Training Area with a safe and adequate facility to provide medical support to injured and ill Defence personnel while training.
The facility also provides temporary sleeping and rest accommodation to medical and air medical evacuation staff.
The facility includes;
> Covered Ambulance Bay
> Patient Resuscitation Bay
> 2 Bed Treatment Room
> Consulting Room
> Low Dependency Unit (6 bed)
> Internal and external waiting areas
> Reception and Operations Room
> Toilet and shower facilities for patients
> Administration areas
> Secure storage areas
> Staff accommodation for civilian air crew, and
> Staff amenities.
Platt Consultants were commissioned by the Project Manager Thinc Projects to;
> Undertake a site assessment of two potential sites with specific attention being given to the ability to provide access for Army A and B Class Vehicles
> The Write Back Brief including Room Data Sheets
> Design Development drawings
> Fixture and Finishes Schedules to adequately explain the scheme.
Several planning options were investigated prior to an agreement as to the preferred layout. Extensive consultation was undertaken with Defence personnel including the medical user group.
The final documentation was used to procure the project through a D & C tender.
A high level of design skills have resulted in Platt Consultants receiving several Industry Awards.
• RAIA NT Chapter 1994 Institutional Award Commendation: Red Cross Homes – Katherine
• RAIA NT Chapter 1994 Institutional Award: Alice Springs Prison Stage 1: Minimum Security Cottages & Reception Building
• RAIA NT Chapter 1996 JG Knight Heritage Award: The Residency Alice Springs (in association with McDougall + Vines)
• RAIA NT Chapter 1998 Institutional Award Commendation: APIN Package 72 1st BASB Transport & Maintenance Company
• RAIA NT Chapter 1998 Institutional Award: Medium Security Wing Darwin Correctional Centre
• RAIA NT Chapter 1999 Commercial Award: Whitfield Street Office
• RAIA NT Chapter 2003 Institutional Award Commendation: Gillen Seniors Village Alice Springs
• RAIA NT Chapter 2006 Interior Award: Territory Insurance Office: Fit out Palmerston Branch
• RAIA NT Chapter 2006 Public Buildings Award Commendation: Arafura Timor Research Facility RAIA NT Chapter 2009 Sustainable Architecture Commendation Ben Hammond Office
• Territory Construction 2005 Awards Commercial Construction over $3m Award: Arafura Timor Research Facility
• Territory Construction 2005 Awards President’s Award: Arafura Timor Research Facility